After a week’s lay up in Yokohama we are finally making last preparations for departure… Fingers crossed!
It’s raining here and we’ve taken on last provisions.
Typhoon Mawar has passed and our weather window is open, it’ll be reasonably heavy going with gusts up to 35 knots and a decent swell, but the Sea Dragon was built to race around the globe so the boat can handle it and Rodrigo the skipper is capable and experienced. We on the other hand may be a bit green for the first few days. If weather keeps building we could be stuck again.. and I’m out of Yen :)
The alternator on the main engine has been replaced, with an improvised part, we have adapted a CAT alternator to fit a Perkins engine. (Although now the rev counter is not working, we’ll have to judge revs by ear)
Our generator and water maker is up and running again, some of our samples need to be kept frozen, so the ability to generate power is paramount.
Passports have been stamped by immigration, for the second time… we are now officially confined to port until we set sail.
The last stumbling block aside from weather is that Nick, one of the scientists on board has come down with a mystery ailment, while we clear the last formalities with the port he has been bundled off to the doctor for a diagnosis and hopefully a simple prescription so we can get going. We can’t afford to lose any more time or else the objectives of the expedition may be compromised.
Marcus the expedition leader from 5 Gyres is confident if we leave today we’ll make the projected tsunami debris field with time to spare. We need that time to conduct effective sampling and searches for large debris.
Keeping effective watch is going to be a critical safety concern, the 66ft section of dock that washed up in Oregon highlights this, regardless of waterproof bulkheads and the like a collision with a piece of debris this size could be disastrous.
The Japanese media are here, ready to send us off, though I’m not sure I’ll really believe we are on our way until we are in international waters.
UPDATE! WEATHER BUILDING DELAYED AGAIN!
As I type this Rodrigo our skipper has updated the weather status, 4.5 meter swell strong headwinds, his opinion is departure today would be stupid. Rodrigo says when in higher latitudes you really have to watch your departure timing, if you don’t want to “get your arse kicked by the weather”
Looks like regardless of the outcome with Nick and his mystery ailment we will be unlikely to depart today.
Safety first. I’m happy to delay if the skipper says so.